More woodworking from Down Under

| |
How bout those championship games yesterday? Good games: I really thought San Francisco could pull it off right up to a fumbled punt return at the worst possible time ever.
In Australia, cricket is very popular. I dont know much about the game, other than it employs the use of a flat bat. And when I see a cricket bat, I think of Shawn of the Dead.
Brenton Rawlings describes cricket this way: "A sport that most Australians will play in the backyard pretending to be good at it with only a select few who make a career from turning professional."Heres a set of cricket "Stump Shelves" he made.
And look: a picture frame with Brentons family pictured. Its made of Oak with a Jarrah inlay.
Finally, he sent over a picture of an awesome looking go-cart he made with his nephew for Christmas. I so want to ride this!
*****
John Steele works in the tech wing of a local school and tells me that my iWood video is compulsory viewing for all new wood working classes. Uh-oh! 
John describes his gorgeous turnings: 
"The motif is a gum leaf - inlaid into some random eucalypt hardwood. Commonly called Victorian Ash (gum trees from Victoria). The inlay is redgum burl. 
The last one American Ash- Fraxinus americana, and an Australian redgum burl shaped again as a gum leaf.  This could be seen as a symbol of the connection between our two countries (or it could be that I was given a few offcuts of American ash.)"

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment