Make a serving tray from recycled wood

| |

Just in time for Mothers Day, you can make this serving tray in an afternoon.
Several years ago I designed a few logos, labels, and packaging art for some local vineyards and wineries. I collected a few wine crates that wound up in my shop. Ive used them for storing car cleaning supplies and electrical/computer cables and wires.
Funny how we often never give a second thought to something disposable like a wine crate. After building my last few pallet projects, I started looking at those old boxes in a new light! Not only free wood, but wood with character!
Wine pairing The base of this tray is made from two of the crates side panels. I still have the other sides and the bottom saved for another project. I wanted the sides to be half-inch thick, to keep the tray from looking bulky, so I scrounged around in my shop and found a redwood board that was the perfect length. I like the idea of pairing a Northern California tree species with a Northern California wine.
Options to fit your woodworkingThis is a flexible project that you can make using any tools and materials you happen to have. A few options:
  • This would make a great pallet wood project.
  • The base can be made with a scrap of plywood.
  • You can cut the curved sides with a jigsaw.
  • Cut out the finger holes with a coping saw.
  • Use an inexpensive miter box and a hand saw to make the miters, or...
  • Dont bother with the miters: just butt the sides together with glue and nails.
  • Instead of making a groove for the bottom, just glue it underneath the sides.
Free plans
  • WWMM Serving Tray (pdf)
  • SketchUp version
*****