2x4 outdoor bench

| |
Doing my part to brighten up my front yard and the world.
Inexpensive woodworkingDepending on where you get your lumber, you should be able to build this bench for under $30. It is made using seven 8-foot long 2x4s. You will also need some deck screws and a 3/4" dowel.
I made the seat by lining up the boards on  their sides, which makes this one sturdy bench. I think it also makes it look more bench-like: similar to what you might find on a city sidewalk.
To simplify my assembly, I attached the legs with pocket holes and screws using my Kreg Jig. If you dont have a pocket hole system, you can screw in the leg assembly using long lag screws.
Free Plans
  • WWMM outdoor bench plans (PDF)
  • SketchUp file
  • Protecting the woodSince this is an outdoor project, it will need some sort of finish. You can stain it, apply a clear finish, or do what I did and apply a couple coats of latex house paint. I mulled over the various options and decided to make a bold statement with humble 2x4 studs by painting them knock-your-socks-off purple. Whatever you decide, its a good idea to apply the paint or finish as you are building the bench: there are a lot of hard-to-reach places.
    Purple paint?I realize there will be a lot of people who will not approve of my color selection or the fact that I painted wood but I am prepared for the onslaught of YouTube comments. If  my goal was to showcase the woods natural beauty, I probably wouldnt have chosen 2x4 studs. We define beauty in our own lives. Amongst all the negativity and competition for blandness, a little color can  go a long way to brightening up the world. At least a little.
    *****

    Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment