New Axe Fun

| |
Just a quick post...
I have been playing with my new Axe and carved a basic cooking spatula and kitchen spoon. Neither of which are finished yet, so this is more of a progress report really. 
The wood is from a small Ornamental Cherry tree that I cut down from the garden a few weeks back and is soaking wet green. I dont really know much about Green Wood Working (yet), so I imagine I have to leave things to dry out before they can be finished? Any advice from readers would be appreciated!
The cooking spatula is functional from a Bushcraft perspective but thats about it!
I should have paid more attention to the small knots, the main one causing problems is on the side and there is another tiny one in the center of the blade - A lesson learnt. Once the wood has dried out I will try and sand a finish on it and oil it properly.
As for the spoon, well these pics are straight off the axe I havent touched it with a knife yet.
I have tried to keep the handle of the spoon the same design as the spatula as if by some miracle this little project was a success then they would make a nice matching pair. I dont have a Crook knife yet so I cant even begin on the bowl of the spoon. 
One thing I am very wary of and that is not getting too attached to these little creations. The baton mallet I made last week has self destructed in the warmth of the central heating. Not so surprising I guess, Green Wood + Warm House = Cracked Wood. This is quite extreme cracking though!
Oh well - it still works (for now)...
 Its certainly fun to just be able to sit down and hack into a piece of wood with an axe and make something vaguely recognisable. Its surprising how quickly you learn different techniques according to the accuracy of the cuts required. I am looking forward to getting some better wood as these pieces are just what I had in the garden. Id love to try a bowl out of birch or something similar. 
If the spoon and spatula dont self destruct while drying out or before I acquire a crook knife, Ill get these finished and post the results despite how bad they look - Its all part of the adventure!

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment