Tossing out tools clearing my shop and my mind with bright colors

| |
As Ive been discussing, Ive been making changes in my shop. Mostly, its been a matter of taking an honest look at my layout and storage methods and evaluating what works and what doesnt. A lot of the clutter in my shop was due to the fact Ive had things in the same spots for many years and never questioned if there was a better way. They became enshrined.
On one workbench I kept a collection of woodworking and home improvement books that Ive collected over many years. After giving it some thought, I realized that I rarely look at any of them and it made no sense to waste valuable real estate on a workbench that should be used for, well, work. I got rid of about half of them and stored the rest that still contain a few ideas for future projects.
I took apart my old Craftsman jointer last year in hopes of tuning it up, but never managed to get it back together. Over the holidays I realized that I hadnt missed using it at all and it was just taking up valuable floor space. I gave it away on Craigslist. Eventually I may get a new one, but for now I seem to be getting by just fine without a jointer.
More mind-clearing and decluttering. A lot of the cleaning-up in my shop was a matter of disposing of stuff. Stuff, stuff, everywhere stuff! This meant removing my emotional attachments to tiny scraps of plywood and cut-off 2x4 chunks. Getting rid of an object gets harder the longer weve had it, yet clearing my life of these unused things gives me a sense of freedom and creativity. Kind of like how a car seems to run better after it has been washed.
My general rule of thumb when evaluating what to keep and what to eliminate is whether I have used the object in question within the past year or two. Sometimes, I just have to take an objective, non-emotional look at something and ask myself if there is a reasonable chance of using it in the coming year. Here are a few more items Ive ditched:
  • I am getting rid of my Workmate, a great little folding workbench, but one I havent used a single time since building my router table.
  • Im saying goodbye to my dovetail jig. Ive used it about 3 times. Every time I have to get out the manual and re-learn it. It takes a LOT of work to use it, so it collects sawdust and takes up space.
  • My shop radio. I bought it years ago to listen to CDs, but dont use them anymore, and am/fm radio is also something I dont listen to. I listen to satellite radio on my TV instead or audio books on my phone. 
  • Of course, lots and lots of scrap wood. I filled two recycle containers. I think they turn it into mulch. In the past, Ive offered it up free on Craigslist, but it usually becomes a mess as people rummage through it and end up taking very little. 
  • Lots of old saw blades. What is it with me that I feel the need to save dull blades after buying
    new ones?
  • Empty jars and containers. "I might need that someday". Nope. I never do. If a certain storage need does arise, jars arent exactly hard to come by.
  • An old metal-cased circular saw and a sander that were my dads as well as a corded drill that was my first drill from when I was about 14. I had to be strong with these. Again, these things are now useless, so I had to remind myself that my emotional attachments remain with people, not the things they bought.
  • Drawers filled with bits of hardware that are essentially useless. Rusted hinges, plumbing parts, screwdrivers with bent tips, dried caulking tubes, etc. Its amazing to see the junk Ive been hoarding.
The evolving, colorful workshop
I realize my shop re-organization strategy may seem drastic, and some of it is. This is simply what I need at this time in my life. Ten years from now, I may feel different. I wouldnt be so presumptuous to recommend or advocate this kind of deep-cleaning and purging for everyone. I offer it up just as a bit of insight into the way my woodworking philosophy is constantly evolving.
I spend a lot of time in my shop and want it to be a comfortable place that reflects who I am at this moment. When I first set up my shop, it seemed very important not just to have my tools handy, but to display them. My vision of what a wood shop was "supposed" to look like was formed by what I saw on TV woodworking shows and in books and magazines. It was supposed to look woody. And woodworkers are supposed to worship their tools.
As I get older, I realize that not only is the world is bright and colorful place, but I am drawn to people, places, and things that are also bright and colorful. Who says a workshop cant reflect this attitude? 
With Woodworking for Mere Mortals I have long been advocating woodworking as a hobby that anyone can participate in, and challenging long-standing beliefs about what "real woodworking" is. Changing the visage of my woodshop makes it a happier and more productive environment for me to work in, but I also hope it makes it an interesting and inviting place for viewers new to the show. Viewers who might be intimidated by woodworking will see that its not about the tools, but rather a simple message of fun, creativity, discovery, and personal growth.

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home