Outdoors woodworking

| |
I hope the weather is heating up wherever you live! Few people will deny how idyllic spring can feel. Theres a sense of starting something new. Even the air smells fresher. This must be even more pronounced for those of you who are emerging from a cold and snowy winter.
Ive been concentrating on building outdoor woodworking projects. Its great to build an entire project under the sun rather than under fluorescent tubes. This week, Ive built an herb garden, or, my wife tells me its more correctly called a kitchen garden. Either way, its a fun and easy project to make: I think I completed mine in record time. Would be a good way for you to get out into the light and spend a relaxing afternoon with power tools. Look for video and plans on Friday.
*****
Whirligig Wars
And to remind you that spring may take a pass and move right on into summer, start thinking about entering this years Whirligig Wars contest. Its been an annual summer tradition dating back to 2012. This year the competition is going to be greater and the prizes are going to be bigger. I heard that the grand prize might be an all-expense paid trip to the Bahamas. Either that or a $15 gift card to Applebees. Of course, this is all just in the planning stages and will most likely change. 
Look: heres Laney and me in the latest issue of Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts magazine. If youd like to get a head start, here is how I wade a simple whirligig. They are fun and easy to make! More info on the contest coming soon.
*****
While out basking in the springtime sun I got a note from Andor Rábay to remind me that Hungary has yet to get the memo about spring. Here is a bird feeder he made with scrap wood. This is a photo taken last week of a robin enjoying fruits and seeds. Now Im cold again.
*****
Wil Wilson is certainly  in the springtime spirit. Heres a great little childrens picnic table he just completed. Picnic tables make great outdoor projects: they are relatively easy to build and highly useful.
*****
And since Ive been on my build-it-for-free pallet kick lately, Heath Fitts sent me over what he calls a cowboy cooler, made from pallets. Really great idea for entertaining on the deck or patio.
*****
I recently mentioned an idea of making something using an old wine crate, in which I currently store old computer cables and connectors that I will most likely never use. Heres a really cool idea: Nicholas Pelliccione makes serving trays out of them. Love this idea!
*****
Finally, while not an outdoor or springtime project, Jim Jarvis sent of this picture of a stand he made to hold bracelets and necklaces. Would work as a cup holder too. When I see it, it makes me shiver a bit as I am reminded of one of my most dreaded projects: my hat rack! Ug. I like Jims approach to making a stand better...and less stressful!
*****
Reminders:
Watch the progress of this weeks herb garden project on Keek or Twitter.
Latest pictures on Instagram.
Ideas for projects and more on Pinterest.
Dont forget to follow me over on my Facebook Page!
*****
Update:
Richard Burman has entered a pitch contest and needs your vote to get his "Working Hands" project underway. Check it out and help him out!









Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home