Make a shopping bag dispenser Bid on this to support the Make A Wish Foundation

| |
Pallet wood shopping bag dispenserInspiration for this project came from Tim Sluder, who suggested I come up with some way of storing those plastic grocery bags we all seem to save and reuse. (At least for now: many municipalities where I live are banning them!)This dispenser is a good way to keep the bags handy and Ive included a couple of shaker pegs (which Tim sent me a long time ago) to hold a bag to use as a waste basket. This would be a nice project for a pantry or laundry room.
I made mine out of pallet wood, this time cleaning it up with a planer and revealing its pristine state. It still retains nail holes and other marks, so it has character, but is not as rustic as my bath cabinet, for instance.
I also included an engraved and painted rose on the front. Its an easy process but youll need a Dremel tool. The trick to making a transfer from an ink-jet printer is to print it on something slick. I used the backing paper from a sheet of shipping labels. The ink will stay on it, but not dry. You can then press this onto your wood.
Free plans:
  • WWMM shopping bag dispenser (pdf)
  • SketchUp file
  • Own this dispenser. 
    I am going to start auctioning off some of my projects for charity. Since I make a new project every week, I have a lot of things I can do without. I thought about selling them, but Id rather my projects be used to make a small difference in the world.
    More specifically, I hope to improve the life of at least one child who has a life-threatening medical condition by donating 100% of the winning bid to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. If you (or someone you know!) would like to bid on this dispenser, the auction runs until next Friday. Please share the link to any non-woodworkers too.Ive signed and dated the back of this piece. If you are the winning bidder, Ill also throw in a couple Woodworking for Mere Mortals buttons. And Ill mention you in an upcoming episode. (Unless you prefer not, of course.)
    Click here to bid!