Build a 20 planter box

| |
Now that Spring is here, Ive really been wanting to make an outdoors project. Planter boxes make great projects for woodworkers, because they can be made so many different ways. Do a quick Google search for tons of ideas.
One of the reasons I havent made one before is because "outdoor" wood, wood better able to withstand the elements such as teak or cedar, is pretty expensive. Even with those woods, a planter box will eventually rot away.
Planned obsolescence I decided to not fret over its fate and built my planter box using 2x4s and garden edging. Including the 16 lag screws, this planter cost me a little over 20 dollars to build. At that price, I dont have to worry about rot. When it happens, Ill just build a new one!
If you really want to save money, use wood from old pallets. You can usually pick them up free!
So I suppose this is a bit of an experiment too. I have applied no finish to the wood whatsoever. It should all become silver-gray in a year or so. Itll be interesting to see how long it lasts. Ill keep you posted.
Of course, if you want to make something more permanent or if you want to make a planter box for a gift, I would recommend using teak, redwood, or cedar and applying a protective finish. The actual techniques I used for this project would certainly apply.