Making a rustic picture frame with Dad

| |
Every year or so my dad comes out for a short visit. Dad enjoys talking about woodworking and catching up with the changes in my shop since his last trip. We usually spend most of the time gabbing so I choose to take the week off as a vacation.
Not a lot of thought or planning went into this project or video. It was sort of like a couple of kids sitting around and one of them asking, "Hey, I know...you wanna put on a show?" In this case, I was that kid.
Dad is a little reluctant to appear in front of a camera, but more than happy to help out with a woodworking project. The funny thing is that he actually comes across quite natural on video. Mostly, its a lot of fun to just spend time building something together. Doesnt matter what it is, the time spent together is worth it.
*****
Rustic picture frameI cant believe how much of that pallet wood I have from last month. I think I picked up about eight pallets and still have a large stash of boards. Its the free wood that keeps on giving!
The picture frame couldnt be simpler. Just a few rough-cut boards glued and nailed together. I saved the rusty spiral nails from the pallets and used them to give it an even more authentic look. Finally, I wrapped some sisal twine around the corners. The string gimmick is just decorative, but gives it all a hobbled-together look.
I decided to print out a vintage vegetable crate label for inside the frame to tie it all together. I think a picture frame should complement its content. A successful frame and picture might be viewed as a single object.
*****

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment