Making noise

| |
Its that time of year again. Well Christmas, yes, but also The New Year. Or more specifically, New Years Eve. A good opportunity to make noise that doesnt necessarily sound like a power tool.
Ive been working on a noisemaker. Something loud. This is one of those projects that went round and round in my head for quite a while. Every time I came up with something, I would sketch it out and discover parts that I didnt like. Eventually I came up with sort-of a wood bell. It also looks something like a cowbell.
I havent completed it yet, but heres an idea what it will look like.
It has been fun building, plus it gave me an opportunity to use my lathe. I really enjoy turning and should do it more often. And, for the clacker inside, Im using another one of those wood balls that I got for the advent calendar.
*****
Last years noisemakerI dont think this years will be as loud as last years, but in case you missed it, heres the simple noisemaker I built last year. It is so loud that after about one second of its use, I guarantee people will yell, "STOP THAT RACKET!"
As an aside, this was one of the first videos I made with my new camera and hadnt quite worked out the settings, which is why its kind of dark. But here it is a year later, and Fridays video will be the first to feature my new lighting setup! I cant believe how much better they make every shot look. I was really getting frustrated dealing with certain high-contrast scenes and inconsistent lighting. So I guess once a year Ill kick the show up a notch.